Assessment Activity Reflection

Assessment Activity Reflection

Evaluation of project: I think this project was a good way to explore the different types of assessments that can be used for mathematics. Typical forms of assessments seem repetitive and sometimes don't seem to display the students knowledge as well as other forms of assessment. I liked that each group focused on one assessment type and then shared that information with the class. 

Reflection on academic language and assessment questions from class: I enjoy that this class assesses us in different ways. I think many of our classes assed with homework, tests, and quizzes. It is nice to have a change of pace when it comes to assessments. I also like that the class gives examples of the assessments we learn about. 

Learning from my groups topic (journals, learning logs): I love the idea of assessing students with journals and learning logs, because they show the student's growth over time. They are a less stressful way of assessment for students. Journals are completed frequently over time. I have seen math journals in my novice teaching placement this semester. Journals are one thing we look at when assessing our students based off standards. I would love to use journals as a form of assessment in my future classroom. 

Learning from other group's topics: It was interesting to hear about the other groups topics. I really enjoyed the strengths and weaknesses section, because that made me realize the importance of using multiple types of assessment. Some of the topics such as tests and homework I was already pretty familiar with, but I enjoyed hearing about assessments through discussions and portfolios. These are things I have not seen as much before, but I think they are great forms of assessment. I think students can sometimes display their understanding better through these types of verbal assessments. I do wish one group would have presented on interview type assessments, because this is something I am not very familiar with. 

Importance of varied assessments: It is extremely important that we use various types of assessments when assessing mathematics. Different forms of assessments have different strengths and weaknesses, so if we combine multiple types we can make sure we are covering all aspects. Also, different students learn and think differently. Some students may do better on tests and quizzes while others may do better with group discussions or interview formats. If we combine these types of assessments, or use multiple types, we are giving all students a better chance for success.

Comments

  1. Thanks, Darby:) I'm so glad to hear that you appreciate the value in using multiple forms of assessment even in a math class!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TA Ch. 3: Implement Tasks that Promote Reasoning and Problem Solving

Manipulative Activities

TA Chapters 6 & 7